1.05.2007

My Last Day on Earth

My teacher in Public Safety made us write a short little essay about what we would do if we were on death row with less than 16 hours to live. What would we eat, who would we see, and what would we DO? I probably came up with the most boring answer, but I don't care, because it IS what I would do, were I in prison on death row.

I would eat steak, hashbrowns, shrimp, scallops, and tacos&rice. I'd make sure all of my family and friends were there to enjoy it with me. I'd have strawberry margaritas and rocky road ice cream. I'd laugh. Then, I'd ask to see a priest, a baptist, and a rabbi. I'd have them explain the Bible to me. I'd ask if God would forgive me. I'd ask for forgiveness, because obviously, if I were on Death Row, I did something bad (or so I'd hope). That's what I would do...on death row.

But what would I do for my last day on earth?

I'd drive. I'd get my friends in the car and drive and drive. I'd convince them to go bungee jumping. Then skydiving. I'd go to Disney World. I'd stop in Savannah for a little bit to eat at Paula Deen's restaurant. Then, I'd probably still ask for the religious mess, because that's just how I think a death should happen. With a teacher of God. Because while I do not believe in Jesus, I still believe there's a God, because if I don't, I feel empty.

One day I woke up and thought about it. If God exists. And a thought, out of nowhere, hit me: What if He didn't? I mean, I've always thought it was a miracle, life. How could it all happen, I always ask myself, if there weren't a God. But it occurred to me that things today can be explained scientifically. So the morning I woke up, I thought: What if God created the universe, made all of these rules to live by and make future life, and then just...disappeared? What if God died after everything? And I started to cry. Because now, even if I say I don't believe it, I know that I've thought it. I know that I lost my faith in God for at least a moment. And I don't know if that can be forgiven.

But I digress.

I guess I don't really know what I'd do if I knew it were my last day to live. Honestly? I'd probably kiss a certain someone. Or more. And, you know, all that stuff from earlier.

What would you do?

No comments: