5.28.2006

10 hours + 2 kids = $60

So a few weeks ago, my dad mentions to his coworker that I'm a babysitter (which isn't REALLY a lie, since I've babysat Chance, but it IS a lie because I've never babysat anyone else). She doesn't take him up on the offer...then. Last night he calls and says, "Yeah, she really needs a babysitter from the morning until about 3:00 in the afternoon." Sure. Sounds fine. $5 an hour, Kelsie says. Dad comes home. Turns out "morning" means "wake-your-ass-up-at-five-o'clock-in-the- freaking-morning." So I woke up. And I went. And it began.

What Dad didn't tell me was that the three year old has cystic fibrosis. He also didn't tell me that the five year-old is legally retarded (but I didn't really notice it. She seemed fine except for she didn't know how to count, which I chalked up to lack of interest). So that was pretty exhausting.

So the three year-old shit in orange. That was pretty nasty. They swam around naked in their paddling pool, which was ok, because they were just having fun. Five put on her shoes, went around the building (where I had no clue what was going on) and all of the sudden I hear her call, "Can you bring me some toilet paper?!" I thought that was kinda funny.

The parents didn't show up at 3:00, though. By 4:30, I was feeling pretty nauseous and honestly just pissed off. That little girl pooped again and I just couldn't take it. Orange is just not the color poop is supposed to be. So I threw up. And I heard Five screaming her lungs out, and I thought it was just because she was scared that I was throwing up. But I went out there and she was hysterical. She got stung by a hornet. I think she was exaggerating, though, because when I called my mom to ask for advice, she asked for the phone, and the second she got it, she goes (in a completely calm voice), "Hi there! Whatcha doin'?" Hardy har.

So, that was my day. I told them $5 an hour, but when we got to the bank, the dad said, "Is $60 okay?" I was not about to say, "Nope, I NEED $50 exactly." I think I deserved it after them driving me crazy for standing me up. And I'm starving, because when I made myself some noodles, they just HAD to have some.

Num Num Num.

5 comments:

Simone said...

$5 an hr is what I charged for babysitting.

20 years ago.

Time to up the price. Especially for those two. Orange? WTF? Hope you enjoy spending that very hard earned cash.

hillary said...

well, i was happy with the $5 an hour thing. seeing how it was my first babysitting job, i figured it was only fair to charge my guinea pigs...well, not a lot. and plus, that's what kelsie charges. and i'm saving half of the money, so....

and the girl pooed orange because of her CF medicine. it was still nasty, though.

Jen said...

eeks!
Sounds like a rough day!
But I bet you're glad you've got $60 in your pocket, no?

C.K. said...

I hate it when Adam poops funny colors... although he hasn't done that in a while (thank goodness!)

Didn't you say there was a 3rd kid?

hillary said...

yeah, but he wasn't there.