8.31.2006

tricky lines

I'm 15. This is no surprise to anybody who knows me at all. But I have the intelligence of several 20-30 year olds. This, too, isn't new.

So why am I treated like a 5 year old?

I don't understand it. I know the difference between right and wrong. I know the chemical properties of mercury. I got to school for 8 hours a day and bring home 4 hours of homework...EVERY DAY. Hell, I know the difference between a direct and indirect object. So why doesn't my opinion count? I'm somehow looked down upon because of my age, and I'm sick of it. People patronize me because they're 10, 20 years older than me, when I'm sure I'm more intelligent than them.

What about when I'm 18 and still in high school? I'll be legally able to vote/be a juror/buy cigarettes/live alone/etc., but I won't be able to wear a short skirt to class? I can't dye my hair pink? I'm not allowed to eat outside?


Ugh. It's really just stupid.

1 comment:

Simone said...

I know what you mean! I found that I didn't get true respect until around 30!