3.26.2006

tarte tatin, you are my everest

So I wake up this morning, sick, as I've been since Thursday night, and read a little bit of The Count of Monte Cristo, which was a pretty good book. I decide that yes, today is the day that I will do it: today is the day that I will make Tarte Tatin. From the moment I saw Dave Leiberman make it on his show, I knew that this was the upside down apple pie for me. So we went to the store at 4:00 and got apples. And I cooked the apples. And I burned the apples. Now, you'd think I would have been like, well, since I burned the main ingredient, better stop. But no. I made the crust. I cooked it. I tasted it. And I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I feel so sad that I failed. I mean, I know it said that the recipe was difficult. But mostly things that say difficult aren't for me. I want to be good at cooking, because cooking takes my minds off of things. Cooking gives me something to do, and if I'm not good at cooking, what am I good at? Nothing. Except for being a semi-decent friend. And I'm not even that good at that.

Agh. The rest of my weekend was okay. I watched Donnie Darko. Made no sense. Maybe I'm just stupid, though. But seriously. No sense whatsoever. I watched Malice, too, partly because I had just watched While You Were Sleeping and was kind of crushing on Bill Pullman. But I'd never seen that movie, so I had no idea that I would come to think of Bill Pullman as a loser who married an avaricious psychopath. Ech.

I finally finished the Count of Monte Cristo though, at the expense of my English paper and my recitation. Like I said, it was pretty good. I still love the movie, though. I love them both, but they're different (obviously, since the book's like, 600 pages.) It said in the back that one guy tried to make it into a 20 act play that took two days and a crew of over 100 to finish. Surprisingly, it didn't do very well.

Poor guy. He probably thought that he was good at adapting books into plays. Boy, was he wrong.

No comments: